We had a 2 hour delay for school today, so we had a little extra time this morning to talk calculus. My plan was to spend all of March on techniques of integration, but we are a little ahead of schedule having already covered integration by parts and partial fractions.
Today my son moved on to a “techniques of integration” section in Stewart and was looking at a bunch of integrals without knowing what techniques to use. After he worked for a bit we talked about the first 5 problems from the section:
(1) A substitution integral with trig functions
(2) An integration by parts problem:
(3) A slightly disguised arcangent problem
(4) A sort of silly u-substitution problem
(5) A partial fractions problem