I saw a neat tweet from James Tanton yesterday:
After seeing the tweet, I couldn’t wait to do the project today. It turned out to be much more difficult than I was expecting, though. One of the difficulties that really caught me off guard was the time it took to make accurate measurements of the positions. The difficulty there turned what I mistakenly thought was going to be a really quick part of the project into maybe 90% of the project’s time.
Maybe a nice surprise with this project is that it could be a good introductory project for introducing kids to measurement.
So, although I’ll publish all 6 videos from today’s project, the main ideas are in the first and last videos.
Here’s the introduction to the project:
The boys weren’t totally sure what happened the first time around, so we tried again:
After two tries, they still weren’t sure what was going on, so we tried one more time:
After this third try, they had some interesting observations:
One idea they had in the last video was to see what would happen if the 3 points were on a line.
To wrap up, the boys wondered about a few other set ups. I was happy to hear that they were starting to think about new ideas.
I think Tanton’s problem is an absolutely great exercise for kids. I’m sorry that I misjudged the difficulty coming from the measurements, though.